How to select a Pumpkin:
1. Consider size. The pumpkin should be big enough to carve eyes, nose and a mouth on.
2. Tap the pumpkin. If it isn't entirely solid, it's rotting. Choose a dry pumpkin with a hard shell.
3. Look at the shape of the pumpkin. Do you want a moon-faced or a tall, thin one?
1. Mark the features on the pumpkin using a pen or pencil. Draw them slightly smaller then you want them to be.
2. Cut the top off. Put the knife or carving tool all the way through the shell into the pumpkin. Saw a clean circle around the stem and lift off. Angle the cutting tool slightly towards the center of the pumpkin to provide a lip for the top to sit on when you're done.
3. Clean the pumpkin. Discard the seeds and sticky interior. Make sure the inside of the face area is free of clinging tissue.
4. Cut the face. For each feature, push the knife or carving tool through, then cut on the line until the piece comes out.
5. Clear away the rough edges.
Protips: 1. Cheap Carving Tools can be found at your local Grocery store or Wal-mart.
2. You can smear the inside of your Jack o' Lantern with Vaseline to keep it from
dehydrating and molding.